söndag 15 november 2009

Vodou exhibition at Världskulturmuséet in Gothenburg

Yesterday I visited the vodou exhibition at Världskulturmuséet in Gothenburg. I had some high expectations up before entering the museum, but I must say I was a little disappointed. There were indeed a lot of nice and intriguing artefacts that reiched with darkness. But there was precious little information about the rites and meaning of the religion, beside the resistance part. Vodou was an important part of the Haitian resistance against oppression, but I missed some deeper meanings.
"These objects/spirits were worshipped" it said here and there. But HOW?!?! Why?!?! How about the lifes of the priests and priestesses? The temples? I found no information at all. What about feminine and masculine? Equality or not within the religious rites? Afterlife? I wanted to know so much more.
I think it's good foreign and ancient religions are portraited and displayed. But I really had expected more information on more than one level. Social importance, yes, it's important too to know about, but not ONLY. Vodou is known to people as a dark and extreme religion. At least one line of information could have been reserved to that, either confirmin or denying the public's picture of the thing.

Well, I'm glad there is... INTERNET! I can search and find all information I need, and want.

Inga kommentarer: